Font Size Print

Enhanced Driver License, Passport Book and Passport Card Comparison


The Chemung County License Bureau (DMV) began issuing the Enhanced Driver’s Licenses (EDL) in September of 2008.  The EDL is offered as an option to NYS residents who are U.S. citizens but is not required. Current NYS driver licenses and non-driver ID cards will remain available. The License Bureau is located in the County Human Resources Building located at 425 Pennsylvania Avenue in Elmira.

In addition to functioning as a driver license, the EDL can be used instead of a passport when traveling by land or sea between Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.  The EDL will comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) which regulates which documents U.S. citizens can use when they travel in the Western Hemisphere.  An EDL will not be acceptable as identification to travel by air to other countries, but can be used as identification for domestic air travel.  A regular driver license or non-driver ID are also acceptable identification for domestic air travel.

The County Clerk’s office also offers passport services daily from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm at the County Clerk’s office located at 210 Lake Street in Elmira. “We can complete and submit your passport application and even take your passport photos right in our office,” says Catherine Hughes, Chemung County Clerk. “When you apply for a passport with the County Clerk’s Office a portion of the fee stays with the County and is returned to the County coffers helping to offset the taxes collected from the taxpayers in Chemung County. Keep your money local working for you.”

Click here for a complete comparison between the EDL and a passport book or card.