SUPERVISING SOCIAL SERVICES INVESTIGATOR – One (1) permanent position in the Department of Social Services/Administrative Services Division (Special Investigations Unit). CSEA Grade 13 Entry Level Salary: B-1 schedule $27.58 and B-2 schedule $24.34 per hour.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position involves supervision and participation in research and field investigation of individuals and vendors in cases where there is allegation or suspicion of improper amounts of payments, and attempted or actual welfare fraud. As are subordinate investigators, the incumbent is responsible for gathering evidence and documentation, including individual statements, to develop legally acceptable cases. The work is performed under general administrative direction with broad discretion permitted in carrying out the details of the work. The incumbent is responsible for the supervision of a small staff of Social Services investigators and contracted fraud investigators.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
- Supervises and participates in the investigation of complaints charging receipt or vendor fraud in welfare cases;
- Studies public assistance laws and rules and obtains information to determine type of fraud involved and discusses the possibility of placing criminal charges with the County Prosecutor;
- Supervises and participates in the interviewing of clients, their relatives and others and initiates proper procedure to obtain or gather information concerning violation of social services laws,
- Makes field visits to question recipients’ neighbors, acquaintances, employers and others to secure information for the possible prosecution of fraud cases;
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of reports for each case describing all steps taken, visits made, witnesses questioned and facts established for submission to appropriate authorities;
Promotion: Two (2) years of satisfactory permanent, competitive status as a Social Service Investigator immediately preceding appointment.
Open Competitive: Either
- Graduation from a high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and five (5) years of investigating experience involving public contact, one (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two (2) year college with an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice and three (3) years of investigating experience involving public contact, one (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or
An equivalent combination of training and experience as stated in A and B above.
- Submission to a local law enforcement background check for all localities in which the new employee has resided, worked, or attended school for the past five (5) years prior to employment
- Submission to FBI fingerprinting
- Submission of new employee information through the E-Verify system to verify that the employee may be legally hired within the United States (USCIS Form I-9)
- Passing of a Physical and Drug screen
PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS NO LIST FOR THIS POSITION. CANDIDATES MUST MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS LISTED ABOVE TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR APPOINTMENT. PERMANENT APPOINTMENT IS CONTINGENT ON PARTICIPATION IN THE NEXT EXAMINATION AND ATTAINING REACHABLE STATUS ON THE ELIGIBLE LIST.
THOSE INTERESTED MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED COUNTY APPLICATION (MAY INCLUDE RESUME) NO LATER THAN MONDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2020, AT 4:30 P.M. TO: AMY WAGNER, CHEMUNG COUNTY DSS, STAFF DEVELOPMENT OFFICE, PO BOX 588, ELMIRA, NY 14902-0588.
Deadline for Applying : Dec 1, 2020