TO: All Departments
FROM: Buildings and Grounds Department
DATE: February 22, 2021
SUBJECT: Position Vacancy
JOB TITLE: Painter, one (1) permanent position at the Chemung County Buildings & Grounds Department. This is a non-competitive title.
GRADE: CSEA Schedule A-2, Grade 10, Entry Level Salary: $22.44/hr.
DEADLINE: March 8, 2021
DUTIES: This position is responsible for efficient and quality performance of a variety of painting tasks and odd jobs requiring a good knowledge of the trade. General instructions are received regarding tasks to be performed permitting considerable leeway for planning the details of each assignment. Immediate supervision may be occasionally exercised over the work of a laborer or maintenance worker. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
- Prepares surfaces by scraping, sanding, washing, calcimining, applying paint and varnish remover and brushing iron surfaces with wire brush to remove rust and scale
- Paints highway equipment and bridges with spray gun
- Paints exteriors and interiors of buildings and structures
- Primes walls before painting, makes plastering repairs, puttys nail holes and cracks, glazes windows and cleans brushes
- Varnishes and shellacs floors and erects scaffolds
- Does finishing, lacquering, enameling and calcimining jobs
- Paints no-parking, caution, stop and other signs
- Fills, shellacs and varnishes desks, tables and furniture
- Mixes and tints all types of paint
- Applies blacktop sealer on parking lots
- Stripes parking spaces
- Hangs vinyl wall covering
May be required to perform other maintenance or labor tasks, as directed.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of the common practices, tools, terminology and accident precautions of the trade; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to operate power painting equipment; ability to rig and work from scaffolds; ability to do lettering work; ability to lay out work for self and others; good color perception; good motor and hand and eye coordination; manual dexterity; dependable and pleasant personality in dealing with the public and fellow employees; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and either:
- Three (3) years of experience as a journeyman painter and a demonstrated ability to perform the function; or
- Seven (7) years of full time paid painting experience and a demonstrated ability to perform the function.
see document here
DEADLINE: THOSE INTERESTED MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED COUNTY APPLICATION (MAY INCLUDE RESUME) TO DONALD BISHOP, CHEMUNG COUNTY BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS, 217 MADISON AVENUE, ELMIRA, NY, 14901, NO LATER THAN TUESDAY, MARCH 8, 2021.
cc: Joy Bermingham, Director of Personnel
Damon Bedrosian, CSEA Unit President
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled