CHEMUNG COUNTY LEGISLATURE
203 LAKE STREET – 5TH FLOOR
POST OFFICE BOX 588
ELMIRA, NEW YORK14902-0588
September 2, 2020
To: Legislators, CountyOfficials and News Media
From: Cindy Kalweit, Clerk, Chemung County Legislature
Re: All meetings of the Chemung County Legislature
As of Tuesday, September 8, 2020 all meetings of the Chemung County Legislature will be opened to the public, with restrictions, including no more than 20 members of the public. All meetings (Standing Committees, Budget Committee, and Full Legislature) will be held in the Legislative Chambers, John H. Hazlett Building, 203 Lake Street, 5th Floor. Everyone in attendance will be required to wear a mask at all times. The Legislature’s re-opening plan which was approved by the Chemung County Health Department (attached) will be strictly adhered to throughout the meetings. The Governor’s extension of Executive Order 202.1 as extended by subsequent Executive Orders allows for the continuation of tele-conferencing and limitations on public in-person access. Live audio of all Legislative meetings will be available at chemungcountyny.gov under the Featured Links menu – Live Meetings and Video Archive. The meeting schedule can be found on the County Legislature home page which is accessible through the county’s website: www.chemungcountyny.gov
Chemung County Legislature
Plan for Public Meetings During COVID-19 State of Emergency
- Subject to modification as guidance and conditions change (current as of 8/24/2020)
- To remain in effect throughout duration of COVID-19 emergency affecting Chemung County, as declared by the Governor or County Executive
- Legislative Meetings will be conducted, open to the public, adhering to the following guidelines:
- All meetings will be held in the Legislative Chamber area of the 5th Floor.
- All Legislators, legislative staff, invitees, media and public attending meetings will wear masks at all times, unless the Chairperson of the meeting deems 6-foot physical distancing achieved while seated, and announces that masks are not needed.
- Hand sanitization, disinfectant and masks will be available for public use.
- Restrooms will designated for public use and cleaned before and after the meeting.
- Restrooms will have cleaning supplies and signs directing the public to clean surfaces after each use.
- County officials will adhere to the “Reopening Safety Plan”, attached.
- Presence is limited to a total of 50 people, including up to 20 members of the public.
- Entry into Hazlett Building (Public)
- 6-foot physical distance shall be encouraged at all times.
- Public will be notified by signage of COVID-19 symptoms; that they are subject to screening questions; and that they may not attend if they are experiencing symptoms.
- Public will be asked COVID-19 health screening questions, and shall provide name, address and phone number for contract-tracing purposes, should COVID-19 contract-tracing follow-up be necessary after the meeting.
- The Clerk of the Legislature will maintain all documents concerning health screening and contact tracing, and these records are not subject to FOIL.
- Public will be subject to security screening, as per established protocol.
- Elevator usage shall be limited to one person at a time.
- Physical Layout of 5th Floor Legislative Chamber
- Hand sanitation will be available at locations easily accessible to the public.
- Pedestrian traffic will be directed to travel “one way” around the Chamber.
- Public seating will be limited to chairs that are spaced for social distancing.
- Public wishing to provide public comment will be asked to not touch the microphone.
- Media (if present) will be directed where to locate equipment and conduct interviews.
- Public is prohibited from entering all other areas of the Chamber, except those dedicated for public use.