Certificate of Residency for Community Colleges

General Information & Requirements

Certificate of Residency Benefit to Students

Students attending community college in New York State may complete a certificate of residency to give permission to the community college to bill Chemung County for a portion of their tuition. Without it, students are billed with the higher out-of-state resident tuition rate.

Eligibility Requirements

Applicant must be a resident of New York State for at least one year AND a resident of Chemung County for at least six months prior to the date of application to receive full credit. The applicant that are residents of Chemung County at least one month prior to the date of application receives partial credit. Must also be a U.S. Citizen or carry a resident alien green card.

Obtain, Complete & Submit a Certificate of Residence 

Required Steps to process a Certificate of Residence:

  • The first step is to obtain the proper application for the community college student will be attending, as follows:
  • The next step is to complete the application and provide proof of residency. Acceptable proof of residency includes a driver's license, utility bill, bank statement, or piece of mail that shows the student's actual physical address (not a P.O. Box). Complete the application in its entirety and sign it in the presence of a notary public (Notary will require a picture ID). Many times the college will assist in completing, notarizing, and submitting the application. Most Town Clerk's and the Chemung County Treasurer's Office also have notary public's available and can assist in explaining the process.
  • The final step is to submit your application, as follows:
    • City of Elmira Resident Only - If you are a permanent resident of the City of Elmira, bring or mail your completed application to the Chemung County Treasurer's Office:
      • Chemung County Treasurer's Office
        320 E Market Street
        Elmira, NY 14901
    • For Town residents - If you are a permanent resident in any town outside the City of Elmira, you must first take your completed application to the town clerk to have the town seal affixed to your application as verification by the Town Clerk of your residency status. Bring with you items to prove your residency status.
    • The Town may then upon request forward your application to the Chemung County Treasurer's Office or the application may be submitted in person or by mail to the Chemung County Treasurer's Office.