License Bureau / DMV
Beginning on May 3, 2023, the federal government will require your driver license, permit or ID card to be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it as identification to board a domestic flight (within the U.S.), or enter military bases and certain federal facilities. You may also use an Enhanced driver license, permit, or non-driver ID or valid U.S. Passport or other identification acceptable to the federal government.
About the Department
The Chemung County License Bureau (Department of Motor Vehicles) is one of the busiest offices in the County of Chemung. The License Bureau is a revenue generating environment, and we serve the public in a very professional, polite, and kind manner. The majority of revenue collected in the License Bureau goes directly to the State of New York. Only 12.7% of money collected stays in Chemung County. We complete 21 transactions for the State of New York for which we receive no reimbursement.
The License Bureau offers an Express Line for renewals and a drop box in front of the office for transactions which will be returned to you within two to three weeks. If you need sooner please call and we can check for cancellations. Thank you.
The Chemung County License Bureau is a Full-Service office. Some of the transactions completed for you are:
- Car Dealers' transactions
- Enforcement transactions (conditional and restricted licenses) bad check payment, DMV fines and assessments
- Issuance of Driver's Licenses of all kinds:
- Commercial operator licenses (Class A,B,C) with endorsements
- Enhanced driver licenses
- Junior operator licenses (Class DJ)
- Reciprocity (transferring from another state to NY)
- Regular operator licenses (Class D)
Note: All of the above transactions will require an original birth certificate with a raised seal, at least 3 other forms of identification with address on one of them.
- Insurance lapses on all vehicles when paperwork is in order
- Road test appointments are arranged and can also be completed online
- Transfer of new and used vehicles
- Written tests for Learner Permits (all classes)