Get involved in your community by becoming an Election Inspector. It's a great way to meet new people while doing something good. Training and work hours are paid time. Election Inspectors welcome voters on Election Day as they enter their polling site. They assist voters with every facet of voting, conduct precinct operations in accordance with election law and follow defined procedures. It is a rewarding experience and most Inspectors return year after year to serve. We encourage you to become a Chemung County Election Inspector.
To be an Election Inspector, you must be:
- Able to read and write English.
- A registered voter in Chemung County.
- Work from 6 am until 9 pm on Election Day.
All Election Inspectors are required to:
- Assist voters in any phase of the voting process
- Attend a training class annually
- Complete necessary paperwork
- Issue affidavit ballots when necessary
- Locate voter name in the electronic pollbook (laptop)
- Open the voting machine
- Perform tasks as directed by the Site Manager
- Set up voting booths (hang signs, set out supplies, etc.)
How to Sign Up
Before you officially become an Election Inspector you must be certified by attending a training session. It's easy. Call the Board of Elections at 607-734-0543 or 607-734-0546 for more information or fill out our Election Inspector online application.