Get involved in your community by becoming an Election Inspector. It’s a great way to meet new people and have fun while doing something good.
Election Inspectors welcome voters on Election Day as they enter their polling site. They assist voters with every facet of voting, conduct precinct operations in accordance with election law and follow defined procedures. It is a rewarding experience and most Inspectors return year after year to serve. We encourage you to become a Chemung County Election Inspector.
To be an Election Inspector, you must be:
- A registered voter in Chemung County
- Able to read and write English
- Work from 6:00 am until 9:00 pm on Election Day
- Primary Elections (12:00 pm until 9:00 pm)
All Election Inspectors are required to:
- Attend a training class annually
- Set up voting booths (hang signs, set out supplies, etc.)
- Open the voting machine
- Locate voter name in the poll book
- Issue affidavit and emergency ballots when necessary
- Assist voters in any phase of the voting process
- Complete necessary paper work
- Tally votes from the machine and paper ballots
- Perform tasks as directed by the Chair Election Inspector
How do I sign up?
Before you officially become an Election Inspector you must be certified by attending a training session . It’s easy. Call the Board of Elections at 607-737-5476 or 607-737-5477 for more information or click here to fill out our Election Inspector on-line application.