L. Thomas Sweet, Majority Leader
District 3 (Town of Horseheads, Village of Horseheads)
- Aviation Committee (Chairman)
- Buildings and Grounds
807 Center Street
Horseheads, NY 14845
L. Thomas Sweet, “Tom”, was appointed to the legislature in April 2000, to replace the late William Cumminsky. He was then elected to fill the remaining term to the Legislature in November 2000 and has been honored to be reelected to the present. Prior to serving as a County Legislator, Tom served as a Trustee for the Village of Horseheads for ten years. On April 23, 2012, Tom was elected as Majority Leader by his fellow Legislators.
Currently the Chairman of the Buildings and Grounds Committee, Tom serves on the Aviation, Corrections and Law Enforcement, and Health and Human Services Committees as well.
Tom is very involved in community activities and serves on a number of Boards including:
- Chairman, Chemung County Land Bank Board of Directors
- Solid Waste Management Plan Steering Committee
- Sewer District No. 1 Administrative Board
- Southern Tier Central Regional Planning and Development Board
- Fish and Wildlife Management Board
- Member and chair of a large fundraiser for the Horseheads Fire and Rescue Company
Tom graduated from Corning Community College with an AAS degree and a BS degree in Public Administration from Empire State College. At Corning Community College he was inducted into the Phi Theta Kappa Society. He recently retired from Columbia Gas Transmission and enjoys officiating basketball and lacrosse and fishing. Tom is the father of two grown children. He and his wife, Mary, reside in the Village of Horseheads.