Please note the following changes taking place effective 3/18/20:
- An eligibility staff member will call to conduct a phone interview by the end of the day or the following business day, depending on the time your application is received by the agency.
- Mail information to the Chemung County Department of Social Services, PO Box 588, Elmira, NY 14902.
- Use the self-scanning stations located in the Reception Area.
- Fax applications and documentation to (607) 873-1815.
- Use the Mobile Document Upload App “NYDocSubmit”
Jacquie Canute, Director of Economic Security
Chemung County Department of Social Services
The Chemung County Department of Social Services, Division of Temporary Assistance is dedicated to helping the citizens of Chemung County. Please let us know your questions or concerns and we will gladly respond in a timely manner.
The Division of Temporary Assistance consists of Cash Assistance, Medical Assistance, SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program) and Child Care.
Applicants of Cash Assistance, Medical Assistance and SNAP are seen on a walk-in basis during the hours of 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM on Monday - Friday. There are times when this schedule may vary slightly and this will be posted in the reception area.
Outreach sites where you may be able to apply for services are also available, call for information.