One (1) permanent position in the Department of Social Services, Temporary Assistance Division. CSEA Grade 8; Entry Level Salary: B-1 Schedule-$17.87/hr. B-2 Schedule-$15.25/hr.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This position, under close supervision, performs duties similar to those of Social Welfare Examiner. While participating in a 12-52 week, intensive, on the job training program this position involves assessing the social, medical and economic needs of a family or individual and determining financial eligibility for other services as appropriate. The position is responsible for issuing assistance benefits in accordance with established policies and procedures. The work involves the review of applications and records, direct interviews with applicants (including field work) and use of various computer systems. Work is performed under the close supervision of a higher ranking Social Services employee. Promotion to the position of Social Welfare Examiner will follow without further examination upon successful completion of the traineeship period. Work is performed under the close supervision of a higher-ranking Social Services employee.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Knowledgeof Federal, State and local Social Services law and regulations as they affect the financial eligibility for various programs administered by the Local Social Services district; familiarity with other laws as they affect eligibility such as Workmen’s Compensation, Social Security and Unemployment Insurance; ability to deal effectively with others; ability to analyze facts obtained and use facts in making judgments regarding eligibility; ability to understand and follow directions; good powers of observation and perception; experience and /or ability to use various computer systems; good writing skills; public speaking skills; good organizational and time management skills; ability to work independently, initiative; tact; judgment; emotional maturity; physical condition commensurate with the demands of this position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either:
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant an Associate’s Degree; OR
- Graduation from high school or possession of a general equivalency diploma and two (2) years of clerical experience in an office setting which shall have required the use of a database to process work.
- Submission to a local law enforcement background check for all localities in which the new employee has resided, worked, or attended school for the past five (5) years prior to employment
- Submission to FBI fingerprinting
- Submission of new employee information through the E-Verify system to verify that the employee may be legally hired within the United States (USCIS Form I-9)
- Passing of a Physical and Drug screen
THERE IS A CURRENT CIVIL SERVICE EXAM SCHEDULED FOR THIS POSITION. YOU MUST HAVE APPLIED TO TAKE THAT CIVIL SERVICE EXAM IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
Job posting located here.
THOSE INTERESTED MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED COUNTY APPLICATION (MAY INCLUDE RESUME) TO AMY WAGNER, DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES, PO BOX 588, ELMIRA, NY 14902 NO LATER THAN THURSDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2019, AT 4:30 P.M.
Deadline for Applying : Dec 5, 2019 04:30 PM