One (1) temporary position, in the Department of Human Services. Entry-Level Salary: Schedule B-1, $21.49/hr; Schedule B-2, $18.69/hr.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This position is responsible for assisting the Director of Quality Assurance and Staff Development in administering the Department of Human Services Personnel/Staff Development Office.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
Assists the Director of Quality Assurance and Staff Development in carrying out Staff Development and Personnel functions such as maintenance of records, scheduling and coordinating training, employee recruitment and preparation of State quarterly and annual reports; maintains records and files for all department employees; prepares payroll on a bi-weekly basis; assists in the preparation of job specifications; prepares, types, and posts announcements for position openings within the Department of Human Services; schedules and coordinates travel; assists in the maintenance of Department of Human Services staff with personnel and/or staff development concerns. Supervision may be exercised over clerical staff. Performs various other administrative and support duties as assigned by the Director of Quality Assurance and Staff Development. Does related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Good knowledge of Civil Service and personnel practices; good knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; good knowledge of methods and procedures used in record maintenance, payroll preparation, and the processing of personnel transactions; good knowledge of the structure, functions and operations of municipal government; ability to communicate effectively with others; ability to compose routine letters and memoranda; clerical aptitude; good organizational and time management skills; ability to work independently; initiative; tact; judgment; emotional maturity; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Promotional: Candidates must be permanently employed in the Competitive class in the Chemung County Department of Social Services and must have served continuously on a permanent basis for at least five years as a Senior Clerk, or at least two years as a Principal Clerk or Senior Resource Clerk in the Department of Social Services immediately preceding the date of the examination, and must be, at the time of appointment from the resulting eligible list, employed by the Chemung County Department of Social Services.
Open Competitive: Either
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State accredited two (2) year college with an Associate’s Degree and two (2) years’ experience in personnel administration, benefit administration staff development, or related field; or
- Graduation from high school and four (4) years of responsible administrative or high level clerical experience involving operation of a personnel, staff development or administrative office; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience in a related field.
- Submission to a local law enforcement background check for all localities in which the new employee has resided, worked, or attended school for the past five (5) years prior to employment
- Submission to FBI fingerprinting
- Passing of a Physical and Drug screen
- Submission of new employee information through the E-Verify system to verify that the employee may be legally hired within the United States (USCIS Form I-9)
PLEASE NOTE:THERE IS NOT A CURRENT CIVIL SERVICE LIST FOR THIS POSITION. PERMANENT APPOINTMENT WILL BE CONDITIONED UPON PARTICIPATION IN THE NEXT EXAMINATION AND ATTAINING REACHABLE STATUS ON THE ELIGIBLE LIST.Job posting located here.
THOSE INTERESTED MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED COUNTY APPLICATION (MAY INCLUDE A RESUME) NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 12, 2019 AT 4:30 PM. TO LISA BUTLER, CHEMUNG COUNTY DSS, STAFF DEVELOPMENT OFFICE, 425-447 PENNSYLVANIA AVE., ELMIRA, NY 14902-0588.
Deadline for Applying : Dec 12, 2019 04:30 PM