February 18, 2021
Chemung County Job Opportunity
Human Relations Specialist
GENEROUS BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDING MEMBERSHIP IN THE NYS EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT SYSTEM
COMPENSATION COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
This position encompasses para-professional legal work in the County’s Human Relations Commission Office. A general understanding of law and of legal procedures and administrative policies is required in exercising the independent judgment involved in performing these duties. Para-legal work involves performing a variety of procedures required of the Human Relations Commission in its work drafting, filing, and investigating complaints of discrimination in employment, education, housing, and credit. These duties including obtaining evidence and statements, as well as preparing and filing all necessary paperwork for filing and maintaining complaints with the State Division of Human Rights. All work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Human Relations with considerable leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
- Assists in the preparation of complaints, memos of law, transcriptions, memos of conversion, minutes, resolutions, and other legal documents;
- Obtains legal reference material when requested;
- Conducts research regarding questions of law or regulation under the supervision of the Director of Human Relations;
- Meets with the Director of Human Relations to obtain information regarding matters before the Division to determine what evidence witnesses or materials would be required to continue processing of the case;
- Assists the Director of Human relations in matters that require legal interpretation or preparation;
- Conducts interviews with witnesses and when appropriate, prepares and takes sworn statements or depositions;
- Efficiently gathers facts through investigations and interviews;
- Prepares complaints and other legal documents required for the Division of Human Rights proceedings and files same with the Division;
- Keeps Office of Human relations calendar and arranges for the scheduling of cases;
- Transcribes, types, and records minutes and proceedings of meetings, hearings, and conferences.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Either:
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s Degree in legal or paralegal studies; or
- Current certification as a paralegal or paralegal assistant by the New York State or American Bar Association; or
- Two (2) years of experience as a paralegal; or
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s Degree in Legal Secretarial Science and two (2) years of experience as a legal secretary in a law office.
The successful candidate will be required to compete in a civil service examination and must obtain a score that will result in eligibility for permanent appointment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $42,231 – $53,886 a year
See document here
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume to:
Chemung County Personnel
Taylor Lance, Personnel Administrator
Mail: 203 Lake Street
PO Box 588
Elmira, NY 14902-0588
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled