TO: All Departments
FROM: Buildings and Grounds Department
DATE: February 22, 2021
SUBJECT: Position Vacancy
JOB TITLE: Carpenter, one (1) permanent position at the Chemung County Buildings & Grounds Department. This is a non-competitive title.
GRADE: CSEA Schedule A-2, Grade 10, Entry Level: $22.44/hr.
DEADLINE: March 8, 2021
DUTIES: This position is responsible for the efficient and quality performance of a variety of carpenter tasks and odd jobs requiring a good knowledge of the trade. General instructions are received regarding tasks to be performed permitting considerable leeway for planning the details of each assignment. Immediate supervision may be occasionally exercised over the work of a laborer or maintenance worker. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
- Erects form work for concrete walls or floors;
- Does concrete work, i.e. sidewalks, footers, floors;
- Frames and erects the wood frame work for wooden structures consisting of the walls, studding, plates and rafters;
- Applies wood sheathing to exterior walls and roofs;
- Installs aluminum or vinyl siding;
- Frames and erects studding and applies various interior wall coverings such as plywood, insulation board and fill, and wood paneling;
- Builds and erects wood window and door frames, hangs doors and moldings, builds and erects stairs, cupboards and cabinets;
- Applies wood and composition shingles to roofs and sidewalks;
- Makes repairs to any part of the wood work or roofing of any structure;
- Repairs desks, chairs and other office furniture;
- May be required to perform other maintenance or labor tasks as directed.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of the standard building practices, tools, terminology and accident precautions of the trade; ability to follow oral and written instructions and carry out such instructions with reasonable amount of supervision; ability to operate various shop and field wood working equipment; ability to lay out and carry out any reasonable task in connection with construction blueprints; manual dexterity; dependable and pleasant personality in dealing with the public and fellow employees; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either:
- Graduation from a New York State registered or regionally accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree in a building construction field and five (5) years of full time paid experience performing a variety of skilled carpentry duties; OR
- Graduation from high school or completion of a high school equivalency diploma and completion of a certificate program in a building construction field and six (6) years of full time paid experience performing a variety of skilled carpentry duties; OR
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and seven (7) years of full time paid experience performing a variety of skilled carpentry duties.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously throughout the duration of employment.
See document here
THOSE INTERESTED MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED COUNTY APPLICATION (MAY INCLUDE RESUME) TO DON BISHOP, CHEMUNG COUNTY BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS, 217 MADISON AVENUE, ELMIRA, NY, 14901, NO LATER THAN TUESDAY, MARCH 8, 2021.
cc: Joy Bermingham, Director of Personnel
Damon Bedrosian, CSEA Unit President
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled