PRINCIPAL ACCOUNT CLERK. One (1) permanent position in the Department of Social Services, Administrative Support Division. CSEA Grade 10. Entry Salary: B-1 Schedule-$21.49/hr. B-2 Schedule -$19.44/hr.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This is a supervisory position involving responsibility for financial account and record keeping. Work is performed independently under general direction of a department head or other superior. The position differs from Senior Account Clerk in that assignments are more complex and involve broader supervisory responsibilities. Does related work as required
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
- Supervises work of assistants engaged in clerical and accounting activities;
- May compile, prepare and analyze labor, material and operational cost records and reports;
- Codes a variety of reports in accordance with prescribed procedures;
- Interprets changes in rules and procedures to subordinates;
- Checks account keeping records and reports for arithmetical and clerical accuracy and completeness;
- Operates a personal computer, copier, computing, calculating, and other office equipment;
- Writes correspondence;
- May supervise the auditing of bills and the preparation of vouchers;
- May prepare financial statements and reports;
- May set up ledger accounts of funds.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of methods in keeping financial accounts and records including a working knowledge of double-entry bookkeeping; thorough knowledge of business arithmetic and English; thorough knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; ability to follow complex oral and written directions; ability to prepare original correspondence and reports; ability to plan, layout and supervise the work of others; ability to secure the cooperation of others; good judgment; initiative; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a related field, including twelve (12) credit hours in accounting or bookkeeping and one (1) years’ experience performing financial account and record keeping which shall have involved supervision; or
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a related field, including completion of twelve (12) credit hours in accounting or bookkeeping and three (3) years of experience performing financial account and record keeping one (1) year of which shall have involved supervision; or
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and five (5) years’ experience performing financial account and record keeping one (l) year of which shall have involved supervision.
PROMOTIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must be permanently employed in the Competitive class in the Chemung County Department of Social Services and must have served continuously on a permanent basis for six (6) months as either a Senior Account Clerk or Senior Resource Clerk immediately preceding the date of the examination and must be, at the time of appointment from the resulting eligible list, employed by the Chemung County Department of Social Services.
- Submission to a local law enforcement background check for all localities in which the new employee has resided, worked, or attended school for the past five (5) years prior to employment
- Submission to FBI fingerprinting
- Submission of new employee information through the E-Verify system to verify that the employee may be legally hired within the United States (USCIS Form I-9)
- Passing of a Physical and Drug screen
PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS A CURRENT CIVIL SERVICE LIST FOR THIS POSITION. YOU MUST BE ON THE CURRENT CIVIL SERVICE LIST OR MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS LISTED ABOVE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION. YOU MUST RESPOND TO ANY CANVASS LETTERS YOU MAY RECEIVE FROM THE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION.
THOSE INTERESTED MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED COUNTY APPLICATION (MAY INCLUDE RESUME) TO AMY WAGNER, DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES, PO BOX 588, ELMIRA, NY 14902 NO LATER THAN MONDAY, APRIL 12, 2021, AT 4:30 P.M.
see document here
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled