TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
• Complete fueling, lubrication, filter and oil changes on all automotive and heavy highway construction equipment;
• Keeps accurate records of all service items, parts inventory;
• Assists mechanics in making repairs to automotive, heavy trucks, and heavy highway construction equipment;
• Checks all vehicles and equipment for safety issues;
• Checks tires, repairs automotive tires using tire machine and other tools available at the Public Works Department;
• Performs maintenance and minor mechanical repairs to all equipment;
• Clean and maintain work areas free of tools, parts and debris;
• Assists department during snow and ice removal operations;
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Familiarity with the principles of the operation of heavy equipment; mechanical aptitude and knowledge of Medium and Heavy Duty trucks and heavy highway construction equipment sufficient for operation and thorough servicing responsibilities; ability to make simple arithmetic calculations; ability to prepare simple reports; willingness and ability to perform routine mechanic work; ability to lift heavy weights; ability to understand simple written and oral directions; honesty; reliability, punctuality, independent, physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
(A) Graduation from high school or possession of general equivalency diploma and successful completion of a 24-month heavy equipment, truck & diesel technician program with live diagnostics and repairs; or
(B) Successful completion of a BOCES Diesel Equipment Technology, Maintenance and Repair Program, and one (1) year experience in the maintenance, repair and servicing of automotive and heavy highway diesel equipment at a similar sized county highway department, heavy truck or heavy equipment dealership repair shop, or equivalent; or
(C) Two (2) years of experience in the maintenance, repair and servicing of automotive and heavy highway diesel equipment at a similar sized county highway department, heavy truck or heavy equipment dealership repair shop, or equivalent.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATIONS:
• Must possess or obtain a New York State Class B CDL Driver's License within six (6) months of hire. License must be maintained throughout employment in this title.
THOSE INTERESTED MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED CHEMUNG COUNTY APPLICATION (MAY INCLUDE RESUME) TO:
Andrew Avery, P.E., Commissioner of Public Works
803 Chemung Street
Horseheads, NY 14845
POSITION will be POSTED until filled.
** Please note this position can be assigned to any current County DPW location. **
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled