MAINTENANCE WORKER I
Starting Rate: $19.36/hr
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is semi-skilled work involving responsibility for independently performing a variety of mechanical and other maintenance tasks or for serving as a helper to a journeyman tradesman. Performs a variety of semi-skilled repair and maintenance tasks. Although a working knowledge of one or more trades is necessary, a Maintenance Worker does not utilize the more skilled journeyman techniques for any considerable portion of his/her time. In addition, the work may involve the part-time operation of a truck, automobile or other automotive equipment. General instructions are received and work is performed under immediate or general supervision, depending upon the nature of the task. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
- Performs semi-skilled activities in masonry, carpentry, electrical or painting operations and general construction work;
- Helps to install and repair wiring systems and electric fixtures and equipment;
- Repairs windows, doors, floors, walls and other parts of buildings;
- Plasters and paints walls, partitions and ceilings;
- Helps to install and repair general plumbing equipment, such as sinks, toilets and baths;
- Assists in cleaning and repairing pumps, heaters, pipe lines, valves and traps;
- Mixes plaster and concrete and assists in laying brick, plastering walls, finishing concrete work, etc.;
- Operates trucks, automobiles, air compressors, heavy equipment, loaders, backhoes and other motorized equipment;
- Takes part in general grounds maintenance activities;
- Performs manual labor, such as loading trucks, digging ditches, flushing sewers, cleaning culverts, shoveling snow and road maintenance work;
- Services as general handyman performing a variety of semi-skilled duties;
- May assist in cleaning or maintaining of buildings;
- May assist in the operations of the wastewater treatment plant.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of modern buildings and grounds and general construction maintenance and repair practices; good knowledge of the practices and techniques of one or more of the standard trades; mechanical aptitude; ability to follow oral and written instructions; willingness to work under all weather conditions; willingness to respond to emergencies; industry; dependability; manual dexterity; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: One (1) year of experience in general construction or maintenance work.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Candidate must obtain a valid NYS Class B (CDL) driver’s license within twelve (12) months from the date of permanent appointment and must maintain said license throughout employment.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled