JOB OPENING - COLLECTIONS
DEADLINE TO APPLY: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Department: Sewer Districts
Starting Salary: $14.87/hr
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is routine manual work requiring physical endurance and a willingness to perform arduous tasks. Work involves a variety of non-skilled tasks necessary to maintain buildings and grounds. Laborers may assist Maintenance Workers and skilled tradesmen. The incumbents usually work under continuing supervision or their activities are subject to frequent inspection. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
- Assists in the maintenance or construction of roads, streets, utility and drainage systems by digging and back-filling trenches, spreading asphalt, sand and gravel;
- Assists in preparation, laying out and maintenance of grounds and areas designated for beautification by clearing, grading, reseeding, weeding and lining;
- Performs routine manual work to maintain buildings and grounds to include emptying trash receptacles, general cleaning, using heavy mechanical equipment in floors maintenance such as mopping, dusting, stripping, waxing and buffing, washes walls, windows and environmental surfaces, cleaning equipment and replenishing supplies like paper towels, toilet paper, soap and trash can liners;
- Operates power driven tools and equipment such as saws, compressors, drills, mixers, pumps and mowers;
- Uses hand tools such as shovels, scythes, forks and rakes in grounds maintenance and beautification work;
- Loads and unloads trucks and stacks materials and supplies;
- May act as flagman on highway jobs, directing trucks at loading and unloading sites;
- May assist in erecting or assembling snow fences, barricades, picnic tables and recreation equipment;
- Performs general grounds keeping work such as removing debris, raking leaves, mowing lawns, trimming shrubbery, shoveling snow, removing ice and assisting in collection of rubbish and litter from public lands and facilities;
- May perform routine internal security checks to close and lock doors and windows and respond to alarms;
- May pick up, transport and deliver supplies, equipment, furniture and other materials within buildings and grounds;
- Assists Maintenance Workers or buildings and grounds tradesmen in the performance of some routine, non-skilled tasks.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Basic knowledge of buildings and grounds maintenance techniques; willingness and ability to perform routine manual tasks; ability to lift heavy weights; ability to follow simple oral and written directions; willingness to work under all weather conditions; willingness to respond to emergencies; dependability; manual dexterity; emotional stability; sobriety; mental alertness and physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: No previous experience or training is required.
Permanent appointment contingent upon legislature approval for position recreation.
PLEASE SEND COMPLETED APPLICATION TO:
CHEMUNG COUNTY SEWER DISTRICTS
ATTENTION: RC HOLMES
600 MILTON STREET
ELMIRA, NY 14903
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled