Assistant Public Defender (Part-Time)
Full Job Description
The Chemung County Public Defender’s Office is seeking a part-time Assistant Public Defender. The position includes representation of indigent criminal defendants in several of the County’s fourteen Town and Village Justice Courts. The Public Defender’s Office is located in Elmira, NY.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Defending violation and misdemeanor cases from arraignment through disposition;
- Handling pre-trial appearances for all case types, including felonies pending indictment and transfer to superior court;
- Preparing and engaging in motion practice;
- Evaluating cases and reviewing discovery;
- Meeting with clients by phone or in person to investigate charges, discuss strategy, and engage in pre-trial plea bargaining;
- Advocacy in pre-trial hearings and trials as necessary; this is an excellent opportunity to develop trial advocacy skills;
- Coverage of Town and Village Courts may include some evening courts; scheduling is flexible depending on availability.
Hours and Compensation
Part-time attorneys are expected to work 17.5 hours/week, with commensurate credit of .5 years towards the New York State Retirement System.
Compensation is $24,000-$28,000/year, commensurate with experience.
Candidates should be licensed to practice law in the State of New York and in good standing. Experience practicing criminal law is preferred but not required.
Candidates may not be employed in the prosecution of criminal offenses on behalf of the State of New York, or in any representative capacity for the State of New York at the start of employment.
Submit Applications and Letters of Interest to:
Mackenzie M. Stutzman, Esq.
Acting Chemung County Public Defender
163 Lake Street, Elmira, NY 14901
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled