CHEMUNG COUNTY BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS: 217 Madison Ave., Elmira, NY
ENTRY LEVEL SALARY: $14.73/hr.
LENGTH OF EMPLOYMENT: Varies through April 1 to October 31
HOURS: - varies, up to 40 hours per week (Monday through Friday)
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
- Processes, indexes, sorts, records and files a variety of control records and reports;
- Collects, compiles and utilizes statistics and other related information in the preparation of reports and maintenance of records;
- Reviews and checks records and reports for arithmetical accuracy and completeness;
- May process, check, code, and file requisitions, claims, vouchers, bills, and receipts;
- Conducts routine correspondence on matters where policies and procedures are well defined;
- May operate personal computer, copier, computing, calculating and other office machines;
- May be responsible for the assigning of work, the reviewing and recording of work done and the instruction of new employees in the specialized clerical work of a unit;
- May collect fees and account for monies received;
- May act as a receptionist for an office by answering phones, taking messages, setting up appointments, greeting visitors and giving out routine information;
- May perform scanning duties.
- May be required to perform incidental typing duties.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; good knowledge of business arithmetic and English; ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions; ability to write legibly; ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with others; ability to meet and deal with the public; clerical aptitude; mental alertness; good judgment; accuracy; neatness; tact; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either:
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associates Degree in Business Administration, Secretarial Science, Accounting or related field; or
- Graduation from a senior high school or possession of an equivalency diploma, completion of a business certificate program and one (1) year of clerical experience; or
- Graduation from a senior high school or possession of an equivalency diploma and two (2) years of clerical experience.
Those interested in this position must submit a completed county application (may include resume) on-line at: https://chemungcountyny.jotform.com/210315004607036 or to Lisa Sprague at the Buildings & Grounds Department, 217 Madison Avenue, Elmira, NY 14901, (607-737-2843) no later than August 12, 2021.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled